Google
 

The Grocer and the Credit Card


I thought I'd share this rather amusing story I heard recently. It's to do with the way banks just issue credit cards to people without being asked - usually ending up with the recipients getting even more into debt and the banks increasing their income. This is a true story of something that happened here, by the way.

A man who received a credit card from his bank, without applying for it and without being asked, phoned up the bank to find out why it had been sent to him. He claimed that he hadn't asked for it.

The bank said that was true, but they considered him to be a good customer and had issued the card and sent it to him anyway.

"But I don't want it! I want to cancel it," replied the customer.

"Well, if you want to cancel it, you'll have to come to the bank with the card and we'll cancel it for you, otherwise, you'll receive bills from us every month," was the bank's reply.

So the man - who was a grocer - went to his bank to cancel the card and took two large sacks of potatoes with him. The bank manger was looked curiously at the potatoes, but didn't say anything. After they had finished with the cancellation, the grocer got up and started walking towards the door.

"You've forgotten your potatoes!" called out the manager.

"No, no," replied the grocer. "They're yours! I've already billed you for them, but if you don't want them, then you can bring them to my shop and we'll cancel the bill."

I take my hat off to that man!!



Posted in Labels: , |

2 comments:

  1. Natural Says:

    that's funny. credit card companies are not very smart. they issue cards to dogs, dead people and minors.

  2. Ari from ParentalInstincts.com Says:

    That's a great story ... I'm guessing banks are going to start being an awful lot more careful about who they lend money to in the future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails